I need it for school but it won't even let me log in
By Tim's Life
This app was very helpful.
Too many bugs 1/5
The app does great with citing sources, but as far as the website paper review goes there are so many glitches. It freezes about 30% of the time, not allowing the review to take place. On top of that, when it does work it does this weird thing were it repeats sentence in your paper. So it will say "I went to the I went to the store". This obviously causes a lot more time and head ache because you have to go through and correct those added words and hope that you have not accidentally missed one.
PW Review - AP Instructor/ Graduate Student 4/5
As an AP Language & Composition teacher teaching at a school where learning is supported by technology, I am always looking for applications to better engage my students. I came across Pearson Writer through a friend of mine who works for the company. Per our conversation, I learned of many of the benefits associated with PW, so I decided to put it to the test in my classroom. Several perks include a diverse library of content to research, differentiated instruction for a variety of topics/disciplines, and an interactive project timeline. With that being said there is still room for improvement in the form of student connectivity, a slight disconnect between desktop vs. tablet usage, and a lack of opportunity for students to interact with data (you will find the specifics to all benefits and negatives, below). Overall, I really enjoy the application. As both an instructor and a graduate student, Pearson Writer is a great way to engage in the writing process. I give this application 4 stars!
Areas of Strength
1. Research Capacity: I really love the website/application content library. Whether students were searching for a biography of Maya Angelou’ or information about the Ancient Egyptians, Pearson Writer offered plenty of credible sources for students to draw from. Additionally, the “cite source” tab makes annotating easy!
2. Project Timeline: The “My Projects” tab helped students visualize the project timeline by displaying the writing process, step by step. Additionally, the support PW gives for bibliographies is optimal. It trains students to seek a diverse set of credible sources for their papers and displays specific areas where students can improve their research. Lastly, the “notebook” is great for compiling key points and organizing them into logical sequences.
3. Writing Review: The Writing Review tab is great because it provides immediate feedback for student writing. The application highlights the specifics in the paper and on the side, users see the general areas in which they could improve their writing. This was great in my classroom because it answered general questions and freed up some of my time. I was then able to focus on the more struggling students.
Areas of Improvement
1. Document Sharing: I was really surprised when I learned that Pearson Writer did not offer real time document sharing. The absence of collaboration really limits the application to individual usage when so much of the writing process comes from classroom connectivity. I would have appreciated being able to edit my students work remotely, or having the option to share a single document and have the entire class edit it.
2. Website/Mobile Device Disconnect: Most applications look different than the web versions but Pearson Writer is relatively the same. The only real disconnect I saw was in the note taking ability on the iPad. On the desktop I have plenty of options to organize my thoughts but on the mobile device, I’m limited to simply color coating. Being that our school offers tablets instead of laptops, I couldn't really take full advantage of the note taking feature.
3. Relevant Data Use: With Pearson reshaping its efficacy framework, I expected there to be plenty of opportunity for students to engage in data usage. Unfortunately, it does not…at all. In the Writer’s Guide, you are able to look up different topics and it even presents the content in numerous ways, but it doesn’t assess student learning to show mastery of concepts. I believe the application would benefit from not only displaying the scores students achieve in the topic assessments, but also charting their progress towards larger learning goals. This would help teachers monitor achievement trends.
All around amazing! 5/5
This product makes my life so much easier! It offers everything from help finding resources to checking your paper for mistakes. Let me just say it does a way better job than Word too. If you haven't checked this product out I highly recommend it! I will not be writing a paper without the help of Pearson Writer in the future!
The Future of Paper Writing 4/5
This program is a "one-stop shop" for all your paper writing needs. From grammatical checks to research databases to citation generator, Pearson Writer provides helpful resources to get you're writing assignment formatted and written well and done on time. I won't write another paper without using this resource!
Pearson Writer 4/5
Very useful! 5/5
It is so convenient that this app streamlines sources and citation/style guides. It's great to have it all on one platform. I also love the grammar check. It's like having a professor look at it before you even turn it in! Very useful, especially for research papers.
great app! 5/5
Very helpful app, especially for students. Easy to navigate and understand. Definitely recommend this to others.
This helps me in every way possible. I love it and will continue to use it. Worth it!!!
My backpack just got 50 lbs lighter 5/5
It has everything my handbook was supposed to have, but it's way cheaper, way lighter (since it's just my phone!), and explains things in videos instead of slogging through paragraphs. I like that I can start a research paper when I'm waiting for the subway b/c of the database.
Worthless app that does nothing to help. All it is is a checklist. There is ZERO purpose for this app. I cannot describe how much I HATE this app.
Truly Unique! 5/5
The research tools easily won me over in the beginning after purchasing this app. I was conflicted to which search engine was most appropriate for academic writing, so when i realized i could do everything in this one app for class it blew my mind. It connects all of your drafts, research, and works cited to create the ultimate college student app. Good resources throughout the entire program.
"The tab that contains all my projects is genius. Procrastination is my largest set back. Well it was until I started adding all my assignments in Pearson Writer. It reminds me when everything is due in one place."
Can't use it but it looks great lol 3/5
I was looking on the App Store for a Pearson app to use my books on my iPod but I found this and I was really happy believe it or not, because I always have trouble with my writing. Then I realized I needed an account prior because you can't just sign up for this it needs to be apart of your school system or whatever. Really bummed, but it looks like a great app.
Log in does not work. 1/5
Terrible! Can't even log in!